If you’re looking for a delicious meatball recipe with a refreshing sauce to dip all that deliciousness into – look no further!
Mediterranean food is something I really enjoy. Even though alot of the spices are very similar to our Indian spices, the way they are used with ingredients creates a really refreshing dish – no matter what it is. I love that Mediterranean cuisine has so many fresh ingredients incorporated into it – fresh herbs, fresh vibrant fruits and vegetables mixed into the dish for an extra dose of delicious texture. What’s not to love – right? Haha!
Here is my recipe for a Mediterranean-inspired meatball dish. I use a lot of fresh herbs and spices in this recipe to give both the meatballs and the tzatziki sauce a vibrant, refreshing taste in every bite. Trust me when I say, you won’t be able to eat one and walk away. AND – that tzatziki sauce is life! You can use it in so many different sandwiches and wraps aside from this meatball dish.
Well – here you go!
MEDITERRANEAN MEATBALLS with TZATZIKI SAUCE
Servings: 2.5 dozen meatballs
- 2 lbs. ground meat
- 1 medium onion (grated or diced small)
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cumin powder (freshly ground, if possible)
- 1 Tbsp. coriander powder (freshly ground, if possible)
- 1 tsp. red chili pepper or 1 green chili (seeds removed & finely diced)
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped mint
- ½ tsp. cinnamon powder
- 2/3 cup finely minced parsley/cilantro
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (plain/seasoned)
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber (seeds removed, grated, and all liquid squeezed out by hand)
- 1 Tbsp. dill (dried or fresh – finely diced)
- 1 Tbsp. mint (dried or fresh, finely diced)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (or 1 Tbsp. lemon zest)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, add ground meat, onion, garlic, pepper, salt, cumin, coriander, red chili pepper or green chili, turmeric, mint, cinnamon, parsley/cilantro, eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Mix by hand till all ingredients have binded together completely.
- Place mixture in fridge for 30mins to allow flavors to marinate into meat.
- After time, Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking oil on top.
- Take about 1 Tbsp worth of meat mixture and roll into small golf ball size rounds. Place onto parchment paper (about 15 per baking sheet).
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes – meatballs will be a dark golden-brown color. (Do not overcook)
- Remove from oven, transfer to serving dish & serve with Tzatziki sauce.
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Once meatball mixture is placed in fridge to marinate, place yogurt into a mixing bowl.
- Grate cucumber by cutting into half, using spoon to remove seeds, and rubbing against a large side of the grater. Once grated, pick up by hand and squeeze out any excess liquid from the cucumber before putting into mixing bowl with yogurt.
- Add in dill, mint, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Mix with spoon till fully blended.
- Cover and place in fridge for 1 hour to allow flavors to mesh before serving.
- After time, transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle a pinch of lemon zest and extra dill as garnish.
These meatballs are great for appetizers or snacks, as well as a perfect addition to a wrap or naan bread to make a sandwich type of meal! They are absolutely delicious and definitely worth taking the time to make them soon!
So what do you think of this recipe? Let me know your thoughts and if you make this recipe, tag me on IG @cmspiceculture so I can see your masterpiece meatballs! :O)