Chai is a big part of Indian culture. Almost every person loves chai, which is an Indian style of tea flavored with several sweet & savory spices that are ground up into a powdery form and added into the tea.
Almost every Indian home will have their own version of chai that they make. Some lean more on the sweeter side, whereas others like it with some extra heat. Most of these flavors come from a “chai masala powder” that can be purchased as most Indian grocer stores.
But, this chai masala powder can be easily made at home with a few sweet & savory spices ground together. You can make a small batch that will last you for a few months – depending on how much tea you drink.
I’m sharing my chai masala blend with you. This recipe makes a little over 1 cup of chai masala powder and can be stored for a few months without a problem, so you can have fresh masala chai as many times as you like!
HOMEMADE CHAI MASALA POWDER
Servings: 1 + 1/8th cup
- 4 Tbsp. ground ginger powder
- 3 Tbsp. cinnamon powder
- 3 Tbsp. whole green cardamom seeds (no skin)
- 3 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp. ground clove powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. ground anise (or 6 whole star anise)
- 1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg
Note: Some extra add-ins to chai masala powder are
- Dried mint
- Rose petals
- Tulsi (aka “Holy Basil” – and Indian type of Ayervedic Basil)
- Add all spices into a coffee or spice grinder.
- Grind together till ingredients become a smooth powdery consistency.
- Transfer to an airtight bottle/container and store in a cool place.
- Use about ¼ tsp per cup of chai/Indian coffee. (More can be added for a stronger masala taste.)
What I like to do is make my chai using this chai masala powder and then add in some fresh mint leaves toward the end of my cook, to add a hint of mint flavor to the chai. But, if you’re a mint lover, I highly recommend you grind up some dried mint into the chai powder recipe as you’re making it. This way you can have your mint flavor everytime!
That’s it! You can make a double batch if you’d like and use it as a great gift option for other masala chai lovers in your circle!
What do you think? Are you going to make this recipe soon? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. You can also find me on IG @cmspiceculture – tag me with your chai masala powder pics after you make it yourself!