These toffee bark cookies are one of those desserts that will become a staple in your home year-round because not only are they tasty, but they are SO EASY to make! These are perfect to make as gifts or as quick treats for your family.
I make a cardamom-infused toffee that I pour right on top of storebought cookies/crackers and bake till the toffee crisps over the cookies. Then I pour a chocolate mixture on top that has cinnamom and red chili in it to give an extra level of flavor to these cookies. Top these with thinly sliced almond or your favorite nut and you will have an incredible new “Indo-fusion” dessert on your hands. Trust me – you will not be able to eat just one and walk away….I know I can’t! And – if you CAN walk away after 1, please let me know where your willpower comes from! Haha!
Check out my recipe below. I love mixing white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolated together because it takes the bitterness out of the chocolate in this cookie and leaves with you with a perfectly balanced chocolate flavor where you can taste the cinnamon and red chili. (Add more of both if you want a stronger flavor and more heat in your cookie.)
SPICED CHOCOLATE TOFFEE BARK
Servings: 45 (1 large cookies sheet)
- 45 pieces of saltine crackers or graham cracker halves (you can use flat shortbreads too)
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar – packed
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks of butter)
- 1 cup of white chocolate chips
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. finely ground green cardamom
- ½ cup of sliced almonds
Note: You can use any type of ground nut desired for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line your crackers/cookies on a large ungreased baking sheet
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, dark brown sugar, and cardamom on medium-high heat till it is a dark brown color and very bubbly and thick. This will take about 5-7 mins total to make the toffee.
- Immediately pour this mixture on top of the crackers/cookies and spread out to an even layer if necessary, with a spatula or butter knife.
- Bake in oven for 6 minutes.
- While cookies are in oven, take a microwave safe bowl and heat white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate till melted. About 2-3 minutes. Remove from microwave and mix in cinnamon and chili. Chocolate should be creamy.
- Once cookies are done, remove from oven and immediately pour the melted chocolate on top and spread out till you have an even layer on top of the hot toffee cookies.
- Sprinkle almonds evenly on top of the toffee cookies and allow to cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour or until the chocolate is firm to touch.
- Once cooled, take a butter knife and lift pieces of the cookies and break into pieces – like a cookie bark.
- Serve on desired plates or place into cookie tins using parchment paper between layers of the toffee cookie.
So? When are you making this recipe?
Let me know your thoughts and tag me on IG @cmspiceculture with pics after you make this recipe!