Dosa’s are savory rice and/or semolina based crepes that are common in South Indian cuisine. They are usually eaten with a spiced potato mixture and a spicy & sour lentil soup called “sambar.”
If you’ve never had one – I highly recommend you do! You will love the flavors and texture of all the ingredients together and come to appreciate how diverse our Indian cuisine is!
Here is my recipe for the spiced potato stuffing that I make for my dosa crepe recipes!
Spiced Masala Potatoes (For Dosa)
Servings: 6-8 (depends on amount used for stuffing)
- 2 cups of potatoes (boiled, skinned and cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup of thinly sliced onions
- 1 Tbsp. of ginger paste
- 3 green chilis (cut into thin strips) *remove seeds for less heat
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp. salt (add more as needed)
- 4 Tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp. asafetida (Hing)
- ¼ cup of finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- In a medium size pot, heat oil on medium till hot.
- Add in asafetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chilies and allow to fry in oil for about 30 seconds or until the chili look a bit blistered.
- Lower heat a bit and add in onions, ginger, turmeric, and salt (start with 1 tsp and add more as needed) and mix.
- Add in potatoes and gently toss all ingredients together. Make sure all potatoes are fully coated with the spice mixture.
- Cover pot and cook on low heat for about 5-7minutes.
- Uncover pot, add in chopped cilantro/parsley, and mix into the potatoes.
- Remove from heat and use about ½ cup to stuff into each dosa crepe, if desired.
- Serve hot.
That’s it!! You’re going to really enjoy this simple, yet delicious recipe! You can eat it with any of your favorite Indian breads, but it’s tastes amazing with the dosa crepes – whether you use this as a stuffing for it or eat on the side like a regular Indian curry dish.
Here is my recipe for Rava Dosa that you can use along with this recipe:
Let me know what you think about my recipe! Comment below and tag me on IG at @cmspiceculture with pics of your dosa potatoes from my recipe!