Now that the holiday season is here, it’s time to take out all those special drink recipes we have all come to love! Whether its mulled wine, hot chocolates, egg nogs, etc., certain drinks just make the holidays feel more official, right?
Well, Chai is one of those drinks that can be enjoyed year round. But, in my home I try to make different versions of chai tea to be more festive around this time of year.
Chai tea already has many spices in it, such as, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, anise to name a few. But when you add in some fresh mint and creamy chocolate into the mix, everything changes from “normal” to “exciting” from the first sip!
Check out my recipe for a fun new take on a traditional Indian Chai recipe.
MINT CHOCOLATE CHAI
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 whole anise seed
- 2 Tbsp. loose-leaf tea (or 4 teabags)
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1/8 tsp. chai spice powder
- ¼ in. knob of ginger
- 3-4 Tbsp. of brown sugar
- 7-8 shredded mint leaves
- ½ cup of chocolate chips (1/4 if using large chips)
- Whipped cream (as garnish)
- Red Candy crystals (as garnish)
- Candy Cane stick (as garnish)
NOTE: Add in more chocolate and mint if a stronger flavor is preferred.
- In a medium saucepan or pot, add in water and milk and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add in cinnamon stick, cloves, anise, tea, cardamom, chai spice powder and brown sugar. Mix slowly and allow to simmer on low for another 5-7 minutes or until you see the milk become a brownish color.
- Add in mint, ginger and chocolate morsels and mix till chocolate has completely melted into the tea mixtures.
- Change heat to low and allow to simmer for another 3-4 minutes – mixing in between to avoid the tea from boiling over.
- Remove from heat and pour into mug using a strainer to catch all whole spices.
- Top with a large dollop of whipped cream, red candy crystals and candy cane. (all optional)
- Serve hot.
How good does this sound, right? Trust me – you will love the traditional chai spice flavors mixed in with the mint and chocolate. It is perfect for a casual evening or special event – basically anytime!
Let me know your thoughts on this recipe and tag me on IG @cmspiceculture with your chai pics, as well as comment below!