Sometimes the best comfort food on a cold evening is a hot cup of soup! But if you’re getting soup from my kitchen, you’re getting something with a hit of spice and extra seasoning! haha!
This corn soup recipe starts off with some traditional ingredients and end with a little hint of spice from the curry powder, black pepper and chili oil, as the garnish. It is a tasty vegetarian option with the corn, onions and carrots in a thick corn-based broth made with freshly blended corn.
If you are looking for something a bit heartier, you can drop in an egg or two for some added flavor and extra texture.
However you choose to make this soup, one thing you will definitely notice is the perfect balance of flavors and spices. Even though I’ve added a bit of Indian flare with the curry powder and black pepper, this soup is not spicy at all. It has an element of sweetness from the corn, a hint of spice that makes the corn taste sweeter and a deliciously thick and creamy broth to just bring you some serious comfort and satisfaction!
Check out my recipe!
SWEET CORN SOUP
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup of sweet corn kernels (frozen and thawed, or fresh)
- ½ cup of grated carrots
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp. salt (add more to taste)
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Madras curry powder
- 2 eggs (*optional)
- Corn Paste (1 cup corn blended with ¼ cup of water till smooth and creamy)
- Corn Slurry (2 tsp. corn starch mixed into ¼ cup of water)
- 4-5 Tbsp. of Mongolian Chili Oil (can be bought from any grocery store)
- Finely cut green onions
- Fried onions
- Diced jalapenos mixed with shredded cheddar cheese
- Crispy Wonton noodles
- In a medium size pot/saucepan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add in onions, sweet corn kernels, grated carrot and ginger-garlic paste. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat till veggies begin to soften.
- Add in corn paste and mix all together. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in 4 cup of water and allow soup to simmer for about 10 minutes on medium heat till it starts to bubble.
- When soup is bubbling, add in corn slurry and gently mix soup together to fully incorporate all ingredients. Cook for another 5 minutes till soup begins to thicken.
- Mix in salt, curry powder, black pepper, soy sauce and vinegar. Gently use spoon to mix everything together and allow to simmer on low heat for 7-10 minutes till soup is a bit thicker.
- *Optional Step: If adding eggs into soup, crack eggs and mix. Using your soup spoon, begin to spin the soup gently round and round. While soup is spinning, carefully pour the eggs into the soup – continually spinning in rounds. The eggs should look like thin shreds in the soup. (Like an egg drop soup)
- After time, remove from heat and ladle into individual serving bowls.
- Top with a bit of chili oil and any other suggested garnishes.
- Enjoy hot.
That’s it! This soup is a great “quick meal” for that busy weekday, or any time, to be honest! Garnish the corn soup with some of the suggested options in my recipe and you’ll be happy for a long time!
Let me know what you think! If you make this corn soup, tag me with your pics on IG @cmspiceculture.