Saffron Milk brings a bit of nostalgia into my memory, because I remember my mom making this for me when I was a child. She used to make this for me around bedtime as a sweet treat while my parents sat with their cups of hot masala chai.
Now I make this for my own family and it is still one of my favorite drinks after all these years!
Milk is boiled with several sweet spices and saffron till it is golden in color and then pistachios and other nuts are added towards the end of the cooking stage and soften a bit as they cook for another few minutes in the hot milk. It is just a heart-warming, cozy, delicious cup of hot milk with so many delicious flavors all mixed in.
I hope you will take an opportunity to try this recipe and taste a drink that was part of my childhood!
- 2 cups milk (whole if possible)
- ½ tsp ground cardamom (can add more if desired)
- ¼ tsp. saffron
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar (white cane sugar is fine too)
- 10-12 roughly chopped pistachios (1.5 Tbsp.)
- Optional Add-In: Roughly chopped cashews and almonds (1.5 Tbsp)
- In a small saucepan, boil milk, cardamom, saffron, sugar for 5-7 mins or until hot.
- Once milk is golden yellow in color, add in pistachios and optional extra nuts and boil for another 2-3 mins or until nuts seem a bit softer.
- Pour into 2 mugs and serve hot.
Let me know your thoughts! Leave a comment below, make this recipe and tag me on IG @cmspiceculture or FB at “Spice Culture Cooking.”