Recently, there has been a lot of hype and interest in Dalgona Coffee. Basically, it is a creamed mixture made out of Instant Coffee and then added to hot or cold milk to create this beautiful, frothy, homemade type of cappuccino style drink.
But, did you know that Dalgona coffee has been around for a very long time? As a matter of fact, it is an Indian coffee drink that is a popular part of Indian Culture. It is what we Indians “Desi Coffee.” Desi means Indian.
The drink became popular when a Korean actor had it many years ago and then thanks to his popularity and marketing skills, the drink became an instant sensation. The origin of dalgona comes from the Indian Subcontinent and is called “phenti hui” or “whipped coffee.” But, regardless of where it comes from, this drink is perfect for anyone to have, anytime! In my opinion, Desi Whipped Coffee can be enjoyed universally.
The recipe below is my take on a traditional Dalgona drink and takes it a step further by adding chai spices to it. The result is a creamy coffee-chai drink with loads of creamy foam and frothiness from the Dalgona mixture added into it. It is truly a delicious combination that you will want to keep on repeat!
You can make this drink WITH or WITHOUT the Dalgona mix and I’ve provided suggestions below in the NOTES. Take a look!
DALGONA Coffee-Chai (Desi Style Whipped Coffee)
- 2 Tbsp Nestle Instant Coffee
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water (hot)
**NOTE: The dalgona mix works best with the Nestle brand. Or the Indian brand Bru.
Also – this “dalgona technique” works perfectly with any powdered milk drink like strawberry milk powder, chocolate milk powder, hot chocolate, etc. (Definitely a perfect way to switch up your drinks in a fun way!)
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 tsp. sugar
- 2 quarter-size fresh ginger pieces (either peeled OR skin-on is fine)
- 5-6 whole cardamom pods (or 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom)
- 1 whole anise seed
- ½ stick of cinnamon (or 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1 cup of milk (any type preferred)
- 2 cloves (*optional)
- 5-6 whole black peppercorns (*optional)
- *4 tsp. of Nestle Instant coffee (use this coffee measurement IF Dalgona mix is NOT USED and a regular Desi Coffee drink is preferred.)
*NOTE: If you are looking for a creamier drink, I recommend whole milk for this recipe.
- In a small saucepan or pot, add milk, water, sugar, cardamom, anise, cinnamon, and optional cloves & peppercorns. Heat on low for about 2-3 minutes.
- After time add ginger pieces and allow to heat on low for about 8-10 minutes longer to let all the spices blend well.
- While the spiced milk is warming, take a small bowl or container and add the dalgona mix ingredients (instant coffee, sugar and water.)
- With a small whisk or by hand, whip the dalgona mix consistently for about 5-8 minutes, or until the mix turns from a dark brown liquid to a creamy, light brown color. (Almost like a dark golden-brown color.)
- Continue whipping the dalgona mix until you get soft peaks and no lumps at all.
- To serve the drink, add 1 heaping Tbsp. of the dalgona mix to the bottom of your coffee cup and then strain the spiced milk directly on top.
- The dalgona mix will begin to float to the top and melt very slowly.
- Mix the dalgona and spiced milk together till fully incorporated.
- You will see milky foam form at the top when completely mixed.
- Serve hot.
- *NOTE: If you do not want to use the dalgona mix, add the 4 tsps. Of instant coffee to the milk mix in STEP 1 and let it warm as directed for 8-10 minutes. Then serve by straining the coffee-chai to remove all the whole spices. Serve & Enjoy hot.
By the way, if you like your coffee drinks STRONGER, you can make your Coffee-Chai recipe by adding the 4 tsps. of instant coffee in the cooking process AND then make your dalgona separately, as directed. Add an extra dollop of the dalgona on top of the hot desi coffee and mix in completely.
Not too hard right? You will be surprised how good Desi Whipped Coffee tastes with all the chai spices. I think you should give it a try and see for yourself!
Let me know your thoughts on this current internet sensation and my recipe. Tag me on IG @cmspiceculture, comment below or see me on FB at “Spice Culture Cooking.”
Enjoy your Dalgona Chai-Coffee Drink All!