Okay people! The best way to eat this new sandwich recipe is on a rainy day, in your pjs, warm socks, fluffy slippers, and watching you favorite movie or show!
The Veggie Masala Sandwich is going to be your new favorite way to eat a sandwich – actually a new way to eat a grilled cheese sandwich! There are a just a few basic ingredients in it but the resulting flavors are going to have you wanting more than 1 sandwich.
The main ingredients are potatoes, peas and carrots. They are grated and sautéed in a few basic ingredients and then mixed in with onions and coriander for a bit of a crunch. After cooked, I put a big spoonful of the veggie mixture and buffalo cheddar on hot buttered bread and make a hearty grilled cheese type of sandwich. It is INSANELY GOOD!! (I ate 2 sandwiches and not ashamed to admit it.) You can use your favorite type of bread for this recipe, but I tend to stick to simple sandwich bread for this recipe because I want to really taste the masala veggie flavors, more than anything else.
So what are you waiting for? Check out this recipe and make it yourself soon! It’s easy enough for anyone to make and even more perfect with a cold drink, some chips and some soup!
Here you go!
VEGGIE MASALA SANDWICHES
Servings: 6-8 sandwiches
- 5-6 potatoes (cleaned, peeled, grated)
- 4 large carrots (cleaned, peeled, grated)
- 1.5 cups of fresh or frozen peas (rinsed and thawed)
- 1 medium onion (diced small)
- ¼ cup of cilantro (chopped)
- ¼ cup of oil
- 2-3 tsp. chili powder (can increase for more heat)
- 3 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 3 tsp. garam masala powder
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 4 Tbsps.)
- Heat oil in a large cooking pot on medium heat.
- Once oil is hot added grated potatoes, carrots and peas. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes to allow veggies to soften a bit.
- Add garam masala, salt, chili powder, lemon and sugar and mix all ingredients together well. Cover pot and allow to cook on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes. Toss with spoon several times in between cooking to make sure veggies do now stick to bottom.
- Once veggies are soft and cooked, add onions and cilantro. Mix all together, cover and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes more to soften onions a bit.
- Remove from heat.
- On a skillet, melt about 1 Tbsp, of butter on medium-low heat and place your sandwich bread on top.
- While bread is crisping a bit on outside, put a few slices of your favorite cheese (I recommend Buffalo Cheddar slices), a spoonful of the Veggie Masala mix on 1 side of the bread. Top with another slice and allow to cook.
- Once cheese has melted and bread is golden brown on both sides, remove from heat.
- Cut sandwich in half and serve hot with favorite chips, soup, and drink.
- Repeat steps 6-9 for remaining sandwiches.
This is one of the best comfort foods you will have. It is a perfect vegetarian option for anyone, and hearty enough of a sandwich that you won’t miss the meat – if that is important to you in a sandwich. The spicy flavors in the vegetables are combined with a sweet and salty flavor to give this recipe a great balance of flavors. It’s not too spicy either – a medium level of heat that can be decreased with less chili if you’d like.
However you eat this sandwich, it is really delicious and definitely worth making. It’s simple, satisfying and easy enough for a weekday dinner too!
Let me know your thoughts! Leave a comment below, tag me on IG @cmspiceculture or on FB at “Spice Culture Cooking.”