Latkes are a traditional potato & onion pancake that is common in Jewish cuisine and usually eaten with apple sauce and sour cream. Samosas are a traditional Indian snack item where a mashed potato and pea mixture is seasoned with lots of Indian spices and then put into a dough shell that is fried. Samosa Latkes are a delicous new fusion item where traditional Jewish latkes are seasoned up with Indian samosa spices and cooked with mashed peas and carrots. The crispy potato flavors of the latke are elevated with the addition of the veggies and Indian seasonings, creating a really delicious dish that is perfect with chutneys or alone!
- 4 lbs. Idaho potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 large Yellow onions, peeled and grated
- 4 large eggs- beaten (add another if needed to bind mixture)
- 1 cup white flour (Sifted)
- 1 Tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp- fresh ground black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp of Dabeli Sandwich Spice Seasoning (available in Indian stores)
- 1 tsp of ground cumin powder
- ½ tsp of chili powder
- 1 cup frozen Peas and Carrots combo (thawed & liquids squeezed out)
- Vegetable Oil (1/2 inch worth in large saute’ pan)
- In a large bowl, peel skin from Potatoes and Onions.
- Grate both using a box grater or a food processor with the grating attachment.
- Remove the excess liquid by placing a small amount of the mixture to a lint free cloth/towel and squeeze (do in batches).
- Place Vegetable oil into a large fry pan on medium to high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients well.
- Form mixture into “small patties” and fry in hot oil 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Do not overcrowd the fry pan.
- Drain on paper towel lined baking sheet or on a rack.
- Season with a light sprinkle of salt on each side while warm.
This recipe was part of the “Challah for Masala” FB live show on August 10th, 2019 presented by Jill Gilber a.k.a “Jilly from Philly” and Chetna Macwan of “Spice Culture Cooking.” Jill Gilber is an Award-Winning Competitive Cooking Chef” who has won many awards and accolades for her food. She is full of wonderful meal ideas and can be found on IG @jilly.from.philly and Facebook (@JillGilber).