Salad is universal. Every country, every region of the world has their own recipe for a traditional salad. Kachumber is an Indian style salad where onions, tomatoes and coriander are mixed together with cumin powder, salt, chili, and lemon juice. It is an added condiment to Indian cuisine and meant to freshen the palate between bites of curry. Israeli Kachumber is a delicious mix of the traditional Indian salad items with a colorful variety of vegetables common in an Israeli salad. The result is a beautiful rainbow of colors, the freshness of diced, cool veggies and flavor punch of cumin, lemon and chili in a olive-oil based dressing.
ISRAELI KACHUMBER SALAD
- 2 large English Cucumbers (small diced)
- 4-5 large ripe vine tomatoes (small diced)
- 2 small yellow bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 of a large one (diced)
- 2 jalapenos (one if you prefer less heat) (diced)
- 4-5 large red radishes (diced)
- 4 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 large lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- 3-4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to coat)
- 2 Tbsp. Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Mint (chopped)
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Combine all of the above ingredients together and mix well.
- Can prep 1 day ahead, if so, taste to adjust ingredients before serving. (You may need more salt, lemon and fresh herbs, to refresh the flavor)
This recipe was part of the “Challah for Masala” FB live show on August 10th, 2019 presented by Jill Gilber a.k.a “Jilly from Philly” and Chetna Macwan of “Spice Culture Cooking.” Jill Gilber is an Award-Winning Competitive Cooking Chef” who has won many awards and accolades for her food. She is full of wonderful meal ideas and can be found on IG @jilly.from.philly and Facebook (@JillGilber).