One of my family’s favorite meals to have here at our house is “Aloo Gobi” or a Cauliflower and Potato Curry. It’s really flavorful, hearty and tasty! Plus, I add peas into the curry to give it a bit of natural sweetness and more texture. The added green color from the peas makes the dish look nicer with a subtle “pop” of color! Simpy put – it just tastes good AND looks good!
I had the opportunity to cook this dish for a recent TV show I did a cooking demo and it was a huge hit! Not only is this curry delicious to eat, but it is probably one of the best and most “easy” way to feel satisfied with a “meat-free” meal. It is also really healthy with the turmeric and fresh spices inside of it, making it a great healthy and/or vegan/vegetarian option for anyone looking for some food ideas!
Regardless what your diet preference is, this is one curry that will easily satisfy ANYONE!
CAULIFLOWER CURRY (with Potatoes and Peas)
Serves: 6-8 people
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola, etc. – no olive oil)
- 1 large onion (diced small)
- 1 jalapeno (diced small) – can add more for added heat
- 2 or 3 large tomatoes (vine-ripened)
- 1 to 1.5Tbsp of ginger (paste/grated)
- 2 heaping Tbsp. of cumin powder
- 2 heaping Tbsp. of Madras curry powder
- ¼ cup of tomato ketchup
- 1 to 1.5 Tbsp of cumin seed
- ¼ tsp of turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder/paprika (add more if desired)
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped parsley/coriander
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- 3 medium potatoes (cut into small chunks)
- ¾ cup of fresh/frozen peas
- ½ – 1 cup of water
- In medium/large pot, add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds and allow to sizzle for 1-2 minutes to flavor the oil
- Add diced vegetables (onion, tomatoes, jalapeno), ginger paste, and ketchup. Allow to cook down for about 5 minutes.
- Add spices (cumin powder, turmeric, chili, salt, cinnamon powder, curry powder) and mix into the veggie sauce mixture till fully incorporated and then let cook for another 5 minutes till a dark burgundy/red color.
- Add potatoes and ½ cup of water. Mix everything together till all is coated in the sauce.
- Cover pot and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the peas and cauliflower and cover pot. Allow the curry to cook for another 15-20 minutes on medium heat or until all veggies are tender.
- Once cooked, turn off heat and add chopped coriander/parsley on top as garnish before serving. (You may mix into the curry if desired for added texture)
- Serve with rice and/or Indian breads.
That’s it!! Easy, healthy, hearty and so flavorful – ALL IN ONE POT!
Let me know what you think about this recipe by tagging me on IG @cmspiceculture or feel free to leave a comment below!