Here is my own spin on a very comment “Indian Street Food” that most people in my community have regularly. It is a really colorful and fresh salad with puffed rice, gram noodles and loads of chutney (tamarind, mint, garlic, yogurt). It is sweet, savory, crunchy, colorful and full of amazing different textures and flavors that make this a really famous, yet super fun dish to eat!
BHEL CHAAT (Savory Puffed Rice Salad)
- 4 cups of puffed rice
- 2 cups of fine gram noodles (Nylon Sev)
- ½ cup of finely chopped onions
- ½ cup of small diced potatoes (boiled, peeled)
- ¾ cup of tamarind chutney
- ½ cup of mint chutney
- ¼ cup of garlic chutney (can add ½ cup for more heat in recipe)
- ¼ cup of finely chopped coriander
- 1.5 tsp of chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp of Dabeli masala powder
- ½ tsp of salt (add more salt to taste)
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- ½ cup of crushed pappadams OR papdis (thicker version of pappadam)
- ½ cup of small diced sweet potatoes (boiled, peeled)
- ½ cup of small diced beets (boiled, peeled)
- ½ cup of fresh pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup of small, diced raw mango
- Cumin yogurt chutney
- Finely chopped coriander
**NOTE: Cumin Yogurt Chutney – Mix 1 cup of plain, whole milk or low-fat yogurt with 1 Tbsp of freshly ground cumin seed till smooth and creamy in texture. Drizzle a few Tablespoons of the sauce on each portion of bhel before serving.
- In a large mixing bowl, add puffed rice, nylon sev, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, onions, coriander, chaat masala, dabeli masala, salt, lemon juice, crushed pappadams/papdis, mint chutney, tamarind chutney, garlic chutney and gently toss together till fully blended together.
- Divide bhel mix onto 4 plates and drizzle cumin yogurt sauce all over, add raw mango pieces, a little bit of pomegranate and coriander on top
- Serve immediately.
Pretty colorful huh? Wait till you eat it! This is a serious flavor explosion with alot of different textures from the crispy noodles and rice, to the soft and cruncy veggies in it! Oh and then those chutney’s….WOAH!!
Let me know what you think when you get a chance! Tag me on IG @cmspiceculture or feel free to leave a comment below!