This Tandoor Chicken recipe is probably one of the easiest and most flavorful “Grilled” recipes you will try this summer. It has a few basic ingredients that you can quickly make the marinade with and have on hand for not only chicken, but paneer (Indian Curd Cheese) and even for roasted potatoes.
The Chicken is marinated in this deliciously seasoned and thick marinade for a few hours and then simply placed on the grill to cook up into an amazing smelling AND tasty dish! You have to try this! Indian grilling at its finest!
Servings: 8 Portions
- 8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 3 Tbsp of Curry Paste
- 2 Tbsp of Balti Paste
- ½ tsp of chili powder or cayenne powder (add more if you want more spicy)
- 1 Tbsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of red food color
**NOTE: The Curry Paste and Balti Paste are both from the “PATAK” Brand of items which are found in most Indian grocery stores.
- Remove any excess fat from each of the chicken thigh pieces
- In a large mixing bowl, add the yogurt, curry paste, Balti paste, salt, red food color, chili powder and mix all ingredients together with spoon or spatula till fully blended together and creamy.
- With a fork, stab each chicken thigh 5-6 times on both sides and then put into the yogurt mixture.
- Continue with all 8 pieces of chicken till all is in mixing bowl.
- With your hand or fork, toss around chicken in bowl till each piece is fully coated with the marinade. Once complete, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4hours.
- Once chicken is marinated, you may place directly in heated grill and add a few tablespoons of extra marinate on top. (Keep remaining marinade on side to add onto other side of chicken.)
- Cook chicken on medium heat on grill for about 10-15 minutes and then flip over each piece and add another few tablespoons of marinade and allow to cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- You will know the chicken is fully cooked when the chicken looks slightly charred and the yogurt mixture is not too saucy on top of chicken. It will look moist and saucy, as well as the chicken will be a darker orange-red color.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon on top.
There you go!! This is one of our favorite grilled chicken recipes ever!! Super easy, and amazing flavor! Oh yes – and the SMELL!!! The chicken is tender, perfectly seasoned and soo delicious!
What could be better than that?
By the way – you can make an VEGETARIAN OPTION simply by using roasted vegetables OR potatoes. The easiest way is to use the marinade on half-cooked veggies and potatoes and then place them on grill for a few minutes till you get a light char on them…no more than 5-7 minutes on straight grill heat.
If you make this recipe let me know by tagging me on IG @cmspiceculture or leave me a comment below with your thoughts! I look forward to hearing from you!