This slow-cooker chicken will be one of your all-time favorite dishes to make, not only because it tastes delicious, but because you literally can put all the ingredients into the slow cooker at one shot and walk away until its time to eat!
The chicken is tender, a beautiful golden color and soaked into the most delicious Indian spices, so each bite is so flavorful and satisfying.
SLOW COOKER MASALA CHICKEN
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- Masala Spice Rub (Recipe Below)
- 1 roasting chicken (about 6-7lbs)
- 1.5 lbs. medium potatoes (cut into quarters)
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut into medium size chunks
- 1 lb. bag of baby carrots
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp of corn starch
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped coriander
MASALA SPICE RUB RECIPE: (makes about ¼ cup portion)
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp of paprika or cayenne (depends on heat level desired)
- 1 Tbsp of ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- ½ tsp of ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp of Madras Curry Powder
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour and masala spice rub mix and blend together with spoon.
- Cut Chicken into 8 pieces: 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 breast halves, 2 wings. Remove the skin from all pieces except the wings.
- Toss the chicken pieces into the spiced flour mixture till completely coated, then set aside.
- Boil potatoes in several quarts of lightly salted water for 5-7minutes. Drain and plate in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in large skillet on medium-high heat and brown the chicken on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on plate. Set aside when complete.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil into the skillet and sauté the onions and carrots for about 5 minutes.
- Add the leftover seasoned flour and stir until the vegetables are coated.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Add Chicken broth and simmer until the gravy/sauce is slightly thickened. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker.
- Arrange drumsticks and thighs on top of the vegetables and the breast halves and wings on top of the dark meat.
- Cover the slow cooker and allow to chicken to cook for 3-4hrs on high setting, OR 5-6hrs on low setting. Check the thickest part of one of the breast pieces to ensure the meat has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from slow cooker and place on serving platter.
- Add remaining vegetables around the chicken.
- Turn the slow cooker on high setting and stir in the cornstarch into the gravy till it has thickened a bit, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped coriander and then spoon over the masala chicken before serving.
- Eat with rice, or on top of orzo pasta tossed in butter and lemon. (suggestions)
Let me know your thoughts, comments or suggestions by tagging me on IG @cmspiceculture or leaving a comment below!