One thing I can’t resist eating in the midst of my attempt to eat better in 2019, is funnel cakes. I just absolutely love going to amusement parks and other carnival-type events and getting a delicous HOT funnel cake smothered in powdered sugar! The more sugar, the better, right?
And how many of us have tried to eat it so fast and end up inhaling the powdered sugar and choking? Or maybe these problems just exist in my world! LOL.
In any case, Funnel cakes are a perfect base for adding any type of topping you want. I’ve seen them with powdered sugar and Nutella, with ice-cream and fresh fruit, dipped in sugar syrup like an Indian gulab jamun, or with a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon & sugar like a churro! However you choose to eat your funnel cake, one thing will always remain true – that soft, doughy center and slighty crispy outside make this a treat perfect for any age at any time!
Now here is another spin on Funnel cakes with some Indian flare! It has cardamom, saffron and vanilla in it, and then topped with a creamy and sweet Cardamom flavored whipped cream and ground nuts. The result is absolutely delicious. Cardamom adds a slight bit of extra sweetness to the funnel cake and the saffron totally elevates it with a beautiful soft, floral undertone. It also add a subtle dose of peach color to the batter that looks great after cooked! It tastes even better when the funnel cake is served warm and the whipped cream cooled in fridge before serving!
CARDAMOM & SAFFRON FUNNEL CAKE with CARDAMOM WHIPPED CREAM
Ingredients for Funnel Cake:
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of all purpose flour (sift to remove any lumps)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp of Vanilla essence/flavor
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of cardamom powder
- 7-8 threads of saffron
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 4 Tbsp of butter (1/2 stick)
- Oil for frying (3-4 cups)
- A funnel for pouring batter into hot oil
- Powdered sugar (for topping)
- Ground nuts (for topping) – almonds, pistachios, cashews
Ingredients for Whipped Cream:
- 1 Pint of Heavy Cream
- ½ tsp of cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
**Instructions for Funnel Cake:
- Heat oil on medium setting in large pot/container used for frying
- In a mixing bowl, add all of your dry ingredients and mix everything together.
- In another bowl, add all of your wet ingredients and blend together well till fully incorporated.
- Add your wet ingredients to your bowl of dry ingredients and mix everything together till you get a smooth batter with no lumps.
- Take your funnel and hold over the hot oil and slowly pour some of your batter through it and move it around in a circle to make the “Funnel Cake” shape. (use approximately ¼ cup of dough for each cake) (Don’t pour ALL the batter into oil at one shot.)
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on both sides or until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towel before serving.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on funnel cake and then the Cardamom whipped cream and ground nuts on top before serving. (optional)
**Instructions for Whipped Cream:
- In a large mixing bowl with hand blender OR KitchenAid mixer, add in your heavy cream, cardamom, sugar.
- Blend on high till soft peaks begin showing.
- Scoop onto Funnel Cakes with powdered sugar and ground nuts before serving.
There you have it! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family and I did eating it! We had no leftovers either!
Let me know your thoughts after you make this funnel cake and whipped cream. You can tag me on IG @cmspiceculture or leave a comment below!